It’s that time of year again, when over 400,000 people make their way to Delaware Ave and sample food from restaurants all over Western New York. We’ve gone every year since starting Buffalo Eats in 2009 and we’ve been going long before that. Sure the festival isn’t for everyone, if you get anxious with large crowds and can’t handle heat and waiting in line, then maybe this isn’t the event for you. That said, we really believe the festival can be fun and a place to discover something new from a restaurant you haven’t been to before.
In case you missed it, we had the 2012 and 2013 Chairmen of the festival on our podcast this week. You can listen to Chris Hitchcock and Joe Lane talk about the new features to this year’s festival and get a better idea of what goes on behind the scenes.
If you plan on visiting the festival on Saturday, keep an eye out for Donnie because he’ll be all over the place. On Saturday from 11am to 1:30pm he’ll be judging the festival, so look for him running around with pieces of paper desperately trying to eat as fast as he can. Then from 2 to 3 he’ll be judging the Slider Competition between Chef Brian Mietus (Bacchus) and Chef Jennifer Boye (The Mansion) and then again from 5 to 6 as he judges the Smokin’ Hot Buffalo Firehouse Cook-Off. Firemen from Ladder 2 and Truck 6 will be competing against each other for the best firehouse dish. Both of these competitions, plus many more events, can be found at the Culinary Stage throughout both days in the New Era parking lot.
As we’ve done in previous years, here are our wishlist of what we are personally looking forward to trying. You can click here to see the entire listing of all 51 restaurants and 4 food trucks. We hope to see all of you there!
Donnie’s & Alli’s Wishlist:
- Cheesy Chick Nutella and Banana – only tried the truck once and we love us some nutella
- Dinosaur BBQ Pork Sliders – still haven’t made the trip to Rochester/Syracuse, excited to try some BBQ
- The Friar’s Table Snow Crab Claws – have only heard good things about this restaurant
- Garris BBQ Fried Chicken Combo – a large pile of fried deliciousness, try to get it as fresh as possible
- Lloyd Taco Truck Krazy Corn – always amazing.
- Francesca Lobster Gnocchi – because we both love lobster in all forms and have never tried this place.
- Iris Restaurant Ceviche Mixto – I (Donnie) enjoy ceviche and I’m curious how theirs will turn out.
- Chester’s Cajun Grill Cajun Boiled Crawfish – I (Donnie) have wanted to try it for years, now might be the time.
- Alex’s Place BBQ Garlic Baby Back Ribs – because, why not.
- Manhattans Gorgonzola Sausage Cake – I (Alli) like all three of those words, so I expect good things.