Every Sunday we’ll post some of our favorite national and local news stories from the food world.
Have a suggestion for an article/item? Feel free to email us at email@example.com or tweet us @buffaloeats.
Want to catch up on some of our past Sunday Reading articles? Click here for our archives.
Restaurant Rumor Round-Up:
- Ulrich’s Tavern, Buffalo’s oldest bar (opened in 1868), has closed after being seized by the government. We tweeted that the IRS came in during service and actually closed the restaurant down. WGRZ has since confirmed the closing and that the owners of Ulrich’s owe over 200K in taxes. The restaurant has a written sign on their front door saying they will re-open on August 6th.
- Fiamma Steak has been rumored to be closing for months now and apparently they are currently closed until “September” for renovations, however most people I’ve talked to aren’t expecting them to re-open.
- O’Connell’s American Bistro – originally we heard that Chef Kevin O’Connell Jr was unexpectedly leaving the restaurant to return to Los Angeles and the future of O’Connell’s was in jeopardy, however Chef Kevin has passed the word onto Chris Taylor (Roaming Buffalo) that he has infact left but the restaurant will continue on with a new chef.
- Benchwarmers and WJ Morrissey’s will be leaving their current locations (no word on if they are continuing) and will be replaced by a Helium Comedy Club that will be run by local comedian Kristen Becker.
- NoNoo Ramen has no plans for closing the restaurant and owner/chef Chris Van Every is looking into potential investors to expand the restaurant. Chris posted a full statement on facebook explaining the unexpected closings over the past couple of days and his confirmation that they aren’t going anywhere.
- Paula’s Donuts looking for a new home [Buffalo News]
- Lake Effect Ice Cream comes out with their own iPhone app! [Facebook]
- A preview of The Melting Point, Allentown’s newest restaurant [Buffalo Rising]
- Goodbye Elmwood Lounge, Hello Milkie’s [Buffalo Rising]
- Andrew Galarneau visits Hamburg’s O’Brien’s Farm Fresh Meats [Buffalo News]
- The inspiring back story of the Lins (owners of Sun Restaurant) [Hungry For More]
- Constanzo’s also serves up a fine lunch, besides good bread [Buffalo News]
- This just in: Buffalo’s likes to drink, here’s some math to prove it. [The Atlantic Cities]
- Get excited for Buffalo Brewfest with this video from 2011! [Buffalo.com]
- Pierce Arrow Bar & Grill is serving bar food til the wee hours [Buffalo Rising]
- Archaeologists find 2,500 year old chocolate spread [Daily Mail]
- Taco Bell employee pees in food, gets fired [Gawker]
- Don’t steal the metal straws from Chicago’s Aviary, they’ll find you. [Zagat]
- 101 of the saddest food pictures on Instagram [Buzzfeed]
- Man accidentally fires gun in Hooters while he was reloading it [WUSA]
- Top 50 Biggest Restaurant Chains (by sales) in the US [QSR]
- France wants to keep feeding us foie gras [Eater]